Friday, July 16, 2010

Ashes

"Whatever you acquire outside of God's will eventually turns to ashes."
Charles Stanley

"I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing." John 15:5

God is the only one who has the right perspective of our lives. He has a plan and many purposes for us. This plan does not include us walking around day in and day out struggling, trying so hard in our own strength. Many times, I seem to get in my own way. Feelings of exhaustion, weariness, depression, hopelessness and on and on indicate that I am trying to be self-sufficient. John 15:5 tells us that apart from Him, we can do nothing. I am guilty of having my own set of standards. It is when I am trying to live up to my own ideas of how things should be that I feel defeated or like I am not "good enough." I end up fighting battles I was never meant to fight. We must be willing to surrender our plans, agendas, and to-do lists to the paths that the Lord would have us to take.

Lord Jesus, thank you for showing me my need for you in all things. Remind me daily that apart from you I can do nothing. Help me to recognize when plans become mine and not yours. Forgive me. In Jesus' Name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment