Thursday, July 1, 2010

Pumping Soon!


Many of you know that Brady was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes in December. This came just one month after Rylee passed away. Yes, we were devastated. Why? Urrggg! I was mad, mad at God, mad at the situation, mad that Brady had already experienced so much in his young life and now this. I am not ashamed to say that I was mad, because God knows the truth, and the truth sets us free. He healed my mad heart! Now, six months later, we are getting the hang of carb counting and insulin to carb ratios. It is over-whelming, but it has to be done for his well being. He has been taking 4-5 shots a day, about 1825 injections a year, ouch! Brady takes them like no body's business. He doesn't think twice about it! That makes my job a little easier! With the insulin pump, he will have to change his injection sites every 2-3 days. You do the math! Not near as many sticks and pokes! Aside from that, pumping has many benefits when it comes to blood sugar control. The pump is like a mini-computer that works with his body and the insulin to give exactly what he needs. He will still have to do carb counting and check blood sugars. My concern for him is not just what happens right now, but that he is able to accomplish what the Lord has set before him and that he will be able to do this in a healthy body!


-being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ! Philippians 1:6

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Lanisha! I believe with all my heart that great things are in store for him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kellie - I just wanted to drop in and say hello. I saw that you have my blog listed in your blogroll, and I'm honored!

    I've had type 1 diabetes for almost 24 years, and I wanted to offer an ear if you ever have any questions. I'm not a doctor, but I do have decades of experience living with this disease, and I'd love to help you guys in any way that I can.

    Best to you and your family, and especially to your son as he begins his journey with diabetes.

    - Kerri.

    ReplyDelete